For over 100 years, chlorination of drinking water has been one of the single most effective means of improving public health in the developing world. Aquatabs tablets were created and are now the most trusted brand of choice for point of use water disinfection around the world. Today, scientists and engineers at Medentech have a pipeline of products that will continue to make a difference in years to come.
What are Aquatabs tablets?
Aquatabs are effervescent tablets that kill microorganisms in the water to prevent cholera, typhoid, dysentery, and other water-borne diseases. Aquatabs are available in a range of tablet sizes. Each tablet size is formulated to treat a specific volume of water – ranging from 1L to 2,500L. Aquatabs are used both in emergency situations and also for continuous use in households that do not have access to safe drinking water
Why use Aquatabs tablets to treat water?
- Many water sources throughout the world, even after filtration, remain contaminated and require some form of disinfection.
- Aquatabs tablets enable areas without access to water disinfection systems to benefit from the advantages of chlorination without any infrastructure requirements in a speedy and cost-effective manner.
- Aquatabs tablets are simple to use, easily transported, cost-effective and affordable to low-income groups.
- Aquatabs water purification tablets utilize materials specifically approved to International standards for use in drinking water with NSF/ANSI Standard 60certification.
- Aquatabs have been evaluated and selected by leading Aid Agencies, Non-Governmental Organisations, and Defence Forces worldwide
Quality and Safety Assurance
- US EPA registered ( 8.5mg)
- Aquatabs have been in use for over 20 years and no side effects have been reported.
- Aquatabs are manufactured to full pharmaceutical standards in premises certified to the European Union guidelines on Good Manufacturing Practices for medicines.
- The packaging and shelf life of Aquatabs has been verified through stability studies performed to the International Conference on Harmonisation Guidelines (ICH).
- The active ingredient in Aquatabs, Troclosene Sodium, is approved by the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) for routine treatment of drinking water,; meets European Standards for drinking water (EN12931: 2000) and World Health Organization (WHO)/ The Food and Agricultural Organization (FAO) specifications for drinking water.
- Aquatabs tablets meet the NSF/ANSI Standard 60 as certified by NSF International.
- In the past year, over 1 billion Aquatabs have been used globally
Aquatabs product range
Aquatabs Flo is a low-cost water purification system. It brings the chemistry of Aquatabs from “point-of-use” so that water is purified at “point of entry”. A patented design, its simplicity works on the flow of the water with no power, moving parts, or maintenance required.
Why use Aquatabs Flo
Untreated water is at risk of contamination with harmful microorganisms. And even treated water may be at risk of contamination by organisms such as Legionella if stored for a long time in a tank or piping dead-leg. 20% of well water is contaminated with bacteria including potentially fatal VTEC – (Verocytotoxigenic Escherichia coli). Aquatabs Flo® water purification unit makes all your water safer to drink.
Where to use Aquatabs Flo
- Attic and ground tanks
- Community water points
- Small Medical Centres
- Private wells & group water schemes
- Water Kiosks
Aquatabs InLine, the low-cost water disinfection system designed to disinfect 360,000 liters of water 2 ppm can be easily connected to existing water tank pipelines in villages where access to safe to drink water is an essential requirement. Depending on water quality, Aquatabs InLine can be easily adjusted to meet the ppm levels required in any situation.
Aquatabs tablets 1000
Aquatabs 1000 is a tablet that is added to 1,000 to 2,000litres of clear water to kill the most harmful micro-organisms. The tablet dissolves clear within minutes and disinfects the water within 30 minutes.
- Presentation Aquatabs 1000 tablets is an 8.68gm tablet presented in a tub and lid format with a shelf life of 3 years.
- Label Claim Aquatabs will lead to a 6 log reduction in bacteria, a 4 log reduction in viruses, and a 3 log reduction in Cysts (Giardia) within 30 minutes when used in non-turbid water.
- Disinfection of Wells/ Tube wells/Spring Boxes or Silt Traps
- Directions for use and dosage
Litres Emergency Household
1,000-2,00 8.68gm – 1,000 Litres 8.68 gm – 2,000 Litres
Aquatabs granules are added to drinking water to kill the most harmful micro-organisms. The granules dissolve clear within minutes and disinfect the water within 30 minutes.
Aquatabs Granules are available in a 0.5kg, 5kg & 25kg plastic bucket and lid with a 2-year shelf life.
Aquatabs will lead to a 6 log reduction in bacteria, a 4 log reduction in viruses, and a 3 log reduction in Cysts (Giardia) within 30 minutes when used in non-turbid water.
Directions for use and dosage
Weigh out and dissolve 20g of Aquatabs® Granules in 1 litre of water. Stir to dissolve. The 1% (10,000mg/l available chlorine) solution is used to disinfect larger quantities of water as follows:
The volume of 1% solution to be added to:
Chlorine Dose Required 10,000 Litres 100,000 Litres
1 mg/l 1 Litre 10 Litres
5 mg/l 5 Litres 50 Litres
10 mg/l 10 Litres 100 Litres
Note: 1mg/l = 1 ppm available chlorine.
Aquatabs Multipurpose Tablets are available in 1670mg tablet strength. The tablets are presented in a plastic tub with a lid with a shelf life of 3 years.
Aquatabs Multipurpose Tablets will lead to a 6 log reduction in bacteria, a 4 log reduction in viruses and a 3 log reduction in Cysts (Giardia) within 30 minutes when used in nonturbid water.
Directions for use and dosage
Each tablet is dissolved in a specified volume of water, according to the following dosage chart:
1 tablet per litre = 1g/l or 0.1% or 1000ppm available chlorine
1 tablet per liter = 1000ppm = 0.1% available chlorine
How to use Aquatabs
- Select the tablet size for the volume of water to be treated.
- Add the tablet to the water and ensure thorough mixing.
- Wait at least 30 minutes and then enjoy the benefits of safe water.
- If, at the outset, the water is turbid (dirty looking), the first filter through a cloth and then add Aquatabs using a double dose.
International Field Experience
- Aquatabs have been independently and extensively tested internationally through 18 field studies.
- Aquatabs consistently achieves safe water quality with the point of use water treatment at the household level in accordance with internationally recognized standards.